The Henderson State University Historic District has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places
By STEVE FELLERS | Henderson State News
Henderson’s historic district contains the central core of the campus and includes resources from the early 1900s through the 2000s. Several of the buildings constructed in the 1930s were built by either the Works Progress Administration (WPA), or funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA).
“The National Register is the country’s official list of historically significant properties, and Arkansas can feel proud to have a large and growing representation of these tangible links to our past,” said Scott Kaufman, director of the Arkansas Historic Preservation Program (AHPP).
Several of the campus’s buildings are good examples of mid-century architectural styles designed by some of the state’s most notable architects, according to the NRHP application.
“The buildings represent important resources on the campus, including classroom buildings, dormitories, administrative buildings, and the library,” the application reads. “They reflect the important building types that were needed on college campuses as they grew and expanded.”
Henderson’s historic district includes:
- Proctor Hall (1938)
- Caddo Commons (1947)
- Evans Hall (1951)
- McElhannon Hall (1939, with additions in 1960s and c.2000 – Reynolds Science Center)
- Mooney Hall (1933)
- Education Center (2001)
- Huie Library (1967)
- Bell (1890/1954)
- Centurium (1990)
- Columns (1920)/Fence (1903)
- Arkansas Hall (1950)
- McBrien Hall (1964)
- Russell Fine Arts Center (1964)
- Smith Hall (1965)
- Chancellor’s House (c. 1950)
- Greenhouse (c. 2000)
- Day Armory/Lookadoo Student Union (1945, 1958) – Buildings are now the Garrison Center