By Brian Ramsey
OBU Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Missouri — On the eve of the Mid-America Intercollegiate Athletic Association/Great American Conference Men’s Tennis Championship Tournament, the league has announced its annual all-conference teams and special awards, featuring seven individuals from Ouachita Baptist University.
• MIAA/GAC Coach of the Year: Craig Ward
• MIAA/GAC Sportsmanship Award: Santiago Kearney
• First Team No. 2 Singles: Santiago Kearney
• First Team No. 5 Singles: Tobias Fuerschuss
• First Team No. 6 Singles: Phil Exner
• First Team No. 2 Doubles: Francisco Oliveira and Santiago Kearney
• Second Team No. 1 Singles: Francisco Oliveira
• Second Team No. 3 Doubles: Tobias Fuerschuss and Fernando Docters
• Honorable Mention No. 3 Singles: Fernando Docters
• Honorable Mention No. 4 Singles: Alex Blanchar
• Honorable Mention No. 1 Doubles: Phil Exner and Alex Blanchar
This is the second straight year for five of these honorees to earn all-conference recognition, including the second year for Oliveira and Kearney to earn doubles honors, and the third time for Oliveira to earn all-conference honors including his freshman of the year award in 2019. Only Exner, a freshman, is earning his first all-conference award.
The Tigers went 15-3 overall in the regular season, 3-0 in conference matches, and 8-0 at home. Entering the conference tournament, Ouachita is ranked No. 1 in the NCAA Division II Central Region and No. 17 nationally by the ITA.
The MIAA/GAC Championship Tournament begins on Wednesday in Edmond, Oklahoma. With a first-round bye as the south division champion, Ouachita will face the winner of Washburn and Harding on Wednesday at 4 PM. The championship match is set for Thursday at 9 a.m.