In recognition of National Arbor Day, the Arkansas Department of Agriculture’s Forestry Division will be hosting giveaways of bare root seedlings at various locations across the state each Friday from March 17 through April 28.
“Adding trees to your yard or to a community forest is beneficial to all Arkansans, and Spring is an excellent time to plant trees,” said Kristine Kimbro, Urban and Community Forestry Coordinator for the Forestry Division. “With these Arbor Day celebration giveaways, we hope to provide all Arkansans with access to the many benefits trees provide.”
Species will vary by location with at least two of the following species offered at each giveaway: American elm, river birch, bald cypress, persimmon, and/or red mulberry. Offerings are limited to three seedlings per person on a first come, first served basis.
The giveaways will be hosted at various locations across the state. Following is a listing of locations in South Arkansas and times currently scheduled:
• Arkadelphia – Clark County NRCS Office, 640 6th Street: March 31, 12 p.m. – 2 p.m.
• Dierks – Dierks City Park, South Arkansas Avenue/Clawson Park Road: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
• Hot Springs – Garland County Library, 1427 Malvern Avenue: April 7, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
• Sheridan – The Mad Butcher, 815 Rock Street: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m.
• Magnolia – Southern Arkansas University (SAU) Story Arena: 1015 Highway 82 Bypass West: 10 a.m. – 12 p.m. April 28