By BRIAN RAMSEY | OBU Sports Network
RUSSELLVILLE — Following one of its most successful semesters ever, Ouachita Baptist University is holding the top spot of the Great American Conference all-sports standings for the 2022-23 year.
The league will crown the overall winner this summer following the conclusion of the spring sports.
The Tigers are in the driver’s seat of the league’s commissioner’s cup standings and the president’s cup standings after the fall 2022 semester. The commissioner’s cup awards points based on where they finished in the conference standings. The president’s cup awards based on the highest percentage of available points in each sport.
In the fall, the GAC recognizes five sports as a part of its league-wide offerings with football, volleyball, men’s cross country, women’s cross country, and women’s soccer. All five of Ouachita’s teams in those sports posted winning seasons, highlighted by football and women’s cross country capturing conference championships. The Ouachita football and women’s cross country teams each earned the maximum 12 points with all 12 schools in the GAC competing in those sports. Women’s soccer came in second out of seven teams. Volleyball came in fourth out of 12 teams. Men’s cross country came in fourth of out eight teams.
“I’m very proud of what our fall sports teams were able to accomplish this season,” said Ouachita Director of Athletics David Sharp. “Anytime you’re talking about multiple conference championships, multiple All-Americans, multiple Academic All-Americans, coach of the year honors, freshman of the year honors, and other similar awards, that’s a direct reflection of commitment and dedication by so many.”
2022-23 GAC Commissioner’s Cup standings
- Ouachita (43.5 points)
- Harding (41 points)
- East Central (37 points)
- Oklahoma Baptist (33.5 points)
- Southwestern Oklahoma State (25 points)
- Arkansas Tech (22 points)
- Southern Nazarene (22 points)
- Southern Arkansas (20 points)
- Northwestern Oklahoma State (17.5 points)
- Henderson State (14.5 points)
- Southeastern Oklahoma State (14 points)
- Arkansas-Monticello (8 points)
2022-23 GAC President’s Cup standings
- Ouachita (85.29 percent)
- Harding (80.39 percent)
- East Central (72.55 percent)
- Oklahoma Baptist (65.69 percent)
- Arkansas Tech (61.11 percent)
- Southwestern Oklahoma State (58.14 percent)
- Southern Arkansas (45.45 percent)
- Southern Nazarene (43.14 percent)
- Henderson State (40.28 percent)
- Southeastern Oklahoma State (38.89 percent)
- Northwestern Oklahoma State (34.31 percent)
- Arkansas-Monticello (18.18 percent)
Leave a Reply