Lady Reddies win battle against East Central


ADA, Okla. — Henderson State outscores East Central 6-0 in the game’s final minute and a half to win 66-61 inside the Kerr Activities Center. The Reddies improve to 7-5 in GAC play and 10-8 overall with their win over the Tigers.
Ashley Farrar paced the team in scoring with 25 points, shooting 7-13 from the field and 2-4 from beyond the arc. Farrar made all nine of her attempts out the foul line and tied with Abbie Jiles for a team-high eight rebounds. As a team, Henderson shot 45.8 percent from the field and 36.8 percent from beyond the arc.
The Reddies struggled to get things going in the opening minutes of the first period as they turned the ball over three times in their first four possessions. HSU’s slow start would see East Central surge to a 6-0 before a jumper from Jiles put Henderson on the board, 6-2. Farrar and Tamia Templeton combined, scoring back-to-back layups to cut the Tiger’s lead to seven after one period, 16-9.
Henderson began to find its range from deep in the second period as the Reddies scored three triples from Jiles, Farrar and Gracie Raby to give the team a 25-22 lead at the media break. ECU responded with a six-point run to go ahead, but its advantage would not last long as Sonni Martin tied the game at 28- 28 with a three-pointer. The Reddies and Tigers would be deadlocked at 30 after two periods.
Farrar and Jiles led the team at the break with nine and eight points, respectively. Henderson was 11-22 from the field and shot 40.0 percent from beyond the arc.
Brynlee Huggins had the hot hand in the early minutes of the third period, scoring back-to-back treys to give the Reddies a 38-32 lead. However, a 9-0 run by East Central got the Tigers back into the game and would take the lead 41-38. Farrar scored eight points in the final five minutes, plus a layup from Templeton would give HSU a one-point advantage heading into the fourth period, 50-49.
The Reddies struggled to find the basket in the fourth, with Olivia Allen’s layup being the only points for the team in the first five minutes. During HSU’s scoring drought, ECU would take the lead on a 5-0 run, 56-52. Raby and Farrar finally got things going for Henderson as they combined to tie the game 56 all.
Bobbi Bazzle scored the go-ahead basket to give the Reddies a one-point lead with 1:12 left in the quarter, 62-61. Farrar sealed an HSU victory, going 4-4 from the foul line in the final seconds of the game, 66-61.
Henderson St. (10-8, 7-5) remains on the road for its next game, facing Southeastern Oklahoma State Saturday, Jan. 28, at 1 p.m.

Categories: Sports

Tagged as: ,