Mid-America Science Museum announced plans to present the inaugural “Heart Health Month” throughout February with various activities, interactive exhibits for kids and teens, and programs on heart health for adults.
“Part of the Museum’s mission is to encourage life-long science education through interactive exhibits and programs,” said Executive Director Diane LaFollette. “This event is for all ages and focused on learning how our bodies work, which is integral to developing healthy lifestyles.”
The Museum is joining other organizations around the country in promoting February Heart Health Awareness by providing hands-on activities and one-on-one interactions with professionals in the cardiac field.
Some of the activities scheduled for the month include:
Throughout the day every Saturday in February, Museum visitors can explore:
- A Heart Valve Anatomy Discovery Station
- The impact of Exercise on Heart Health Discovery Station
- DIY Stethoscopes and other heart-related activities in the Tinkering Studio
In addition to the Saturday activities, the Museum will host special events on specific days:
- Friday, February 4: Wear Red Day: As a special kick-off to Heart Health Month, guests are encouraged to join the staff in wearing red all day in support of the National Wear Red Day, which celebrates the prevention and awareness of heart disease, especially among women.
- Saturday, February 12: Sweethearts Day
- Activities in the Tinkering Studio including making paper circuit Valentine’s Day cards
- Special Selfie Booth with Valentine’s Day/Heart Health message
The Heart Health Month activities are included with general admission. Adults are $12, children ages 3-12: $10, and seniors aged 65 and older, teachers and military: $11. The museum hours are Tuesday – Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sundays, 1 to 5 p.m.
For more information, visit www.midamericamuseum.org or call (501) 767-3461. The Museum follows the CDC guidelines for masks and social distancing. The museum is located at 500 Mid America Blvd. in Hot Springs.